South Africa to the Caribbean – day 39

Our position at 10.00 (11.00 GMT) Tuesday 28th February was 08 04S
024 21W
on a course of 303T with less than 1 meter swell and sunny blue skies.
Our 24 hour run from 10.00 yesterday to 10.00 today was 137 miles. Average 5.76kts much better than the last few days. We have 544 miles to go to Fernando de Noronha,

The wind picked back up in the morning and we were flying along all day with speeds of 5.7kts and 6.2kts and 7kts recorded and it continued through the night. Our average speed has gone up which is pleasing.

We saw our first birds yesterday. During this leg of the journey, apart from Antares sailing alongside us on the first day, we’ve absolutely nothing – no ships, no fishing boats, no other yachts, no dolphins or whales, nothing. As the horizon is only 6 miles away there could easily be some thing out there but we haven’t seen it.

Bill had the portable generator on all day yesterday charging up the batteries with the watermaker on filing the water tanks.

As I said yesterday it’s getting really hot and sticky. It will be like this for the next week or two until we cross the equator.

I have the nickname ‘Sailing Mum’ because I run the net and worry about my ‘ducklings’ if they don’t check in. I’ve been put to the test over the last few days because one of the yachts on the net suddenly stopped checking in and had previously been very chatty. I left it 3 days then decided to contact St Helena port control to see what they suggested. It was passed through to Falmouth MRCC who have located the vessel which is still on its way to Trinidad. They said it was good to report it and better to be safe than sorry and I can only assume his SSB has suddenly broken. I was worried because they are an elderly couple and he hasn’t been well lately. We have to hope all is well on board.

Last night we had lamb rumps with mint sauce and Bisto gravy (no you can’t I brought it out here from the UK) the very last of the potatoes 😦 and carrots, I’ve still got 4 left. I also made apple crumble with the tinned apples I bought in St Helena, and custard, it was delicious. Fortunately there’s enough left over for seconds tonight. All well on board. 🙂

The blog goes through to facebook but we can’t see facebook or your comments. I’ll catch up with them all in the Caribbean. If you wish to email us please use mdqf6 @ (take out the gaps) Stay safe everyone.

Posted on February 28, 2017, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: