South Africa to the Caribbean – day 40

Our position at 10.00 (11.00 GMT) Wednesday 1st March was
06 45S
026 16W
on a course of 308T with 1 – 2 meter swell and broken cloud.
Our 24 hour run from 10.00 yesterday to 10.00 today was 140 miles. Average 5.8kts getting better. We have 407 miles to go to Fernando de Noronha, which is our half way point.

Still holding the wind, which considering it was forecast to drop a few days ago, is good. We saw our first ship on the AIS yesterday afternoon but it was 15 miles away so couldn’t see it. Bill also saw a flash of lightening in the distance to the north, which is not good. Possibly a sign of things to come. The wind picked up to F4 overnight so Bill reefed some of the twin headsails away before he went off watch. By the time he got up the wind was back to F3 so they came out again.

Unfortunately that bit of extra wind increased the swell slightly making the boat roll more causing any unsuspecting object to levitate from one side of the boat to the other if it wasn’t tied down; including me. The aeropress went over last night before I had a chance to put the top on. It was unbelievable how the equivalent of one cup of coffee could go so far, it was every where and the coffee grounds are so difficult to wipe up. I managed to clear most of it away with the red light on but I found more coffee grounds down the side of the cupboard this morning. It had also gone down my leg but luckily it didn’t burn.

Another milestone this morning and that was we passed 466 miles to go to Fernando which is three quarters of the way. The Navionics micro chip in the chartplotter was also changed to ‘central and south America’.

The heat is making it increasingly difficult to sleep in the day time and I’m gradually getting more and more tired. Another week or so to go yet.

After 4 days the missing vessel checked in with the net last night after the port control at St Helena emailed him, he said he hadn’t been able to hear me but I suspect he had been turning his radio on at the wrong time. Any way at least they were OK. I was probably worrying over nothing but the rescue services said it was better to alert them to a possible problem than not.

Last night I made Passionate Pork casserole – the only reason it’s passionate is because it’s supposed to have passion fruit juice in it but as I haven’t got any so I put tropical juice in instead. It was very nice, fry an onion and some garlic, I then added some really nice pork fillet I had picked up in SA cut into cubes to seal. Then add 200ml of passata, 200ml of juice, 1 tbsp of honey, chop up a piece of ginger (I use stem ginger in syrup)and stir that in with salt and pepper, simmer for about 40 or 50 minutes and serve with rice. It’s a sort of sweet and sour dish.

All well on board. 🙂

The blog goes through to facebook but we can’t see facebook or your comments. I’ll catch up with them all in the Caribbean. If you wish to email us please use mdqf6 @ (take out the gaps) Stay safe everyone.

Posted on March 1, 2017, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: